Scenario: Preston is driving down the street to pick up Angela for classes. He wants to turn left. There is no green arrow but there is a green light. What does that mean to everyone? Yield on left. So Preston turns when there is no traffic. Only to be followed and pulled over by a cop!
Conversation: (not word for word)
Cop: You can't make a left turn back there.
Preston: Sorry I didn't know you couldn't turn left. Normally there is a sign telling you no left turns.
Cop: You have to look at the arrows on the street. They are painted on the street.
Preston: I am sorry, where we come from we look for signs. Had I known I couldn't turn left I wouldn't have.
Cop: I need to see your license
(Preston fumbles through pockets)
Preston: I don't have it!
Cop: Ok, we are going to go up here to the impound where they will keep your car until you pay to release it later today.
Preston: I can't do that!
Cop: Sir, you have to pay a fine.
Preston: I am sorry, I am on my way to pick up someone for English classes that we are teaching at two hotels. Can you not give me a break?
Cop: No we have to go to the impound and you have to pay a fine.
Preston: I am sorry, I can't, I am on my way to pick up the teacher (yes he said this yet again!)
Moment of silence
Cop: Do you teach English? Well, I need to learn to speak English better. Could you give me a card with your information on it?
Preston: (writes our information on a scrap piece of paper) You can come on Sunday at 5:00 to learn English and after that we have Bible Study at 6:00.
(Cop walks off)
Can you believe it!!!!! Can you imagine doing and saying ANY of that in the U.S?
So, either we are going to have the cop who let Preston off coming to our church to learn English or we might get a ticket hand delivered under our door. Or the cop will loose the piece of scrap paper in 5.2 seconds. Anyway, we are still laughing on how Preston talked his way out of that one!!
1 comment:
Just think . . . if you weren't doing a good deed on my behalf, this probably wouldn't have ever happened. Sorry!
Post a Comment